Title1Title2Title3
 
Cardtop

can't spell parallel

Movies to See:
(and by that I mean movies for you to see):

Children of Men and Little Children.

Saw these this weekend and they are both incredible. Top knotch acting, writing and direction all around. The kind of movies that bring about physical reactions in the audience (myself included) and stay with you after you leave the theater.

Random thoughts: I cannot imagine the complexity involved in trying to shoot sequences like the ones in the final forty or so minutes of Children of Men. Michael Caine is so great.

Little Children had a lot of parallels, in my mind, to American Beauty. The voiceover narration annoyed me at first, but it wound up working in a very eerie way.

* Holy moly, from the preview Zodiac looks great. (By the way, the Stock Footage Awards sketch on this week's Jake Gyllenhaal-hosted SNL was a riot.)

* I just saw a news segment on the popularity of the new sleepover program at Museum of Natural History in New York. (Museum attendence itself is up.) It looks super fun, they should have one for adults too, I'd go! I can't help but think of Margot and Richie Tenenbaum stowing away there.

* One of tonite's Jeopardy contestants was proposed to in the Egyptian wing of the Met. That's so cool.

Golden Globes recaplet will be pretty soon.

5 comments

Anonymous Anonymous  said...

Hell yeah, those were both excellent, especially Children of Men, which I've seen three times already. Those action sequences are absolutely stunning.

Little Children didn't come to the theaters here yet for some reason, so I had to watch my friend's crappy downloaded copy of it, but it still knocked me on my ass. In my opinion, the movie wasn't a knockout masterpiece, as a couple of parts involving the main characters' stupidity ruined some of its momentum (i.e. the skateboarding scene toward the end - just out of place and dumb). But still, one of the better movies this year.

The friends I watched it with didn't like it that much, and they weren't as impressed with certain elements as I was. I thought the standout performance in the movie was Jackie Earle Haley as that pedophile - I see he got nominated for a SAG award, but he would be my pick for Best Supporting Actor. My friends disagreed with this and said he just looked creepy. Thoughts?

Saturday, January 20, 2007  
Blogger stacie  said...

He gave a believable performance alright. He was made to look creepy, very creepy in this picture. Like a fucked-up Daniel Day-Lewis or something.

Haley was a Bad News Bear. In the end it all comes down to the Bad News Bears.

Saturday, January 20, 2007  
Blogger stacie  said...

Hey Joe,

I forgot, how's the computer?

Saturday, January 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous  said...

The computer is great. I've got almost everything installed, and I can see why people rave about Macs so much. They're a lot easier to use in general.

That's so crazy that the little biker badass kid from Bad News Bears would grow up to give such a convincing portrayal of a pedophile (although Little Children will never be as disturbing a movie as Happiness).

I just saw Perfume: The Story of a Murderer and Letters From Iwo Jima. Perfume is beautifully filmed and well-acted, but it is a perfect example of a book that is impossible to successfully adapt to a film. Iwo Jima, on the other hand, is one of the best war movies ever made - you and Dad should go see it sometime soon. My first two reviews of the semester will be of those movies.

Saturday, January 20, 2007  
Blogger stacie  said...

Cool.

I'm glad the computer is working out so well. You should get one of those script-writing programs. Maybe you already have one.

I want to see Letters for sure.

You should watch this week's 30 Rock online.

I'm thinking of starting Deadwood.

Saturday, January 20, 2007  

Post a Comment  |  Back to elaborate lies.

Cardbottom
Branchbot
Branchleft