Title1Title2Title3
 
Cardtop

The Pop Trashiest

The end of Scarface always makes me laugh because Tony Montana basically plants his face into a mountain of cocaine. Well, if you substituted Tony Montana for me and the cocaine for trashy pop culture/nostalgia then you have a pretty accurate snapshot of my week. There's a lot to cover, so please do take notes.

Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment: Six Feet Under Returns
I know that the charitable readers of this site are at various stages of watching the show, so I won't give too much away. Last season seemed to tie up many loose ends, but in typical Alan Ball fashion things have gone to hell like there’s no tomorrow. It is a festering wound at this point- lots o' self-loathing, turmoil and personal tragedy. So, in other words, totally normal for the show. I can’t wait for more.

Somebody Get Me a Clipboard: The MTV Movie Awards Are On!
I watched the MTV Movie Awards, as I tend to do. But now when I watch them I feel less like I am watching an awards show and more like I’m conducting marketing research. What are “the kids” into these days? What can I learn about them and their peculiar ways/interests? How can we appeal to that demographic? The reunion of The Breakfast Club cast was the final nail in the coffin. Molly Ringwald is old enough to play Lindsay Lohan’s mom. Yikes. Highlights included the Owen Wilson/Vince Vaughn shtick and I’ll admit that the Ryan Gosling/Rachel McAdams thing was quite beguiling.

I Want My MTV: Videos, Videos and More Videos
I've just discovered music videos on Yahoo. They've all but completely phased out videos at the music networks, so it is cool to be able to watch one on command.

I watched several Weezer videos I’d never seen before. Mary Lynn Rajskub is the girl in the video for “The Good Life,” but not in a cheesy "Jennifer Love Hewitt casting meaningful and overly dramatic glances" sort of way. I’ve liked Rajskub for years, from Mr. Show to many other projects. She’s in the new Gregg Araki, which will probably never come to a theatre near me. Brian Bell does a number of cute things in "Beverly Hills": he plays Twister, he flirts with a charming girl and he does this little guitar move that is just neat. And the “Island in the Sun” video. Who can resist dorky guys frolicking with baby animals?

I also watched a relic from my past, “Legs” by ZZ Top. As a kid I always loved the makeover the nerdy Kate Rambeau-esque gal gets from the ZZ Top ladies, complete with mini skirt, ruffled socks and pink high heels. The whole thing is reminiscent of Dolly Parton’s statement, “I modeled my looks on the town tramp.” Campy fun.

With this video thing I might never leave the house again.

2 comments

Blogger Evan Jones  said...

Boy, I wonder if they make Pop Culture Patches to help get people with fast connections out into the sunlight.

Monday, June 13, 2005  
Blogger stacie  said...

Tonite I went on a tiny jaunt to Pismo and I actually stood outside for a solid 3 minutes. Bully for me. No need for any interventions quite yet.

Monday, June 13, 2005  

Post a Comment  |  Back to elaborate lies.

Cardbottom
Branchbot
Branchleft